Listening and the Learning Centre
The Listening and the Learning Centre, under the Directorship of Fr. Dionysius Vaz and Dr Shalini Aiyappa, Head of the Dept of Psychology was established in the year 2016. Prior to the establishment of the centre counselling services was offered directly by the Dept of psychology .The Centre provides an array of integrated services to promote and enhance personal, social, emotional and academic development of the students and staff of St Aloysius Institutions. Guided by the code of ethics of psychology and counselling professions, the centre provides a safe place where students and staff can be heard, appreciated and accepted.
The objectives of the centre are:
- To assist staff and students to acquire skills, resources and attitudes necessary to lead a productive and satisfying life
- Designing and developing programs and services
- Evaluation and assessment of student needs
- Promoting psychological well-being through preventive programs, interventions and professional consultation.
- Addressing the academic and developmental needs of primary and high school students through assessments and remediation.
The Department of Psychology through the Listening Center offers individual counselling, consultation, career guidance, outreach and crisis services
Services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL for students of SAC
The services of the centre are extended to the general public on appointment basis, beyond the regular working hours.
Professionally committed to make a difference
ev. Fr Melwin Joseph Pinto SJ,
Dr Shalini Aiyappa
MSc., Ph,D., Co-ordinator
Ms Wilma Neetha Vaz,
M.A., Counselling Psychology, NET
A Safe and Confidential Place to Explore Your Concerns and Choose a Road to
Self Awareness, Change and Empowerment.
We will make you feel “you belong” and “you are accepted”
Welcome to the listening centre – it serves as a resource to the entire ALOYSIAN COMMUNITY !
- For enhanced self awareness
- To make the right choices in life
- To realise one’s potential
- For better coping
- To enjoy psychological well being
- ACADEMIC PRESSURES
- PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS
- FAMILY ISSUES
- PEER PRESSURE
- CAREER CONFUSIONS
- ADDICTIONS TO ALCOHOL AND DRUGS
- SEXUAL IDENTITY CONFUSIONS
- YOU FEEL LONELY AND ISOLATED
YOU CAN REACH OUT TO THE LISTENING (COUNSELLING) CENTER FOR SUPPORT.
HOW CAN COUNSELLING HELP?
- We provide a Safe and Accepting environment where you can freely discuss your issues/ concerns
- You can develop a Trusting Relationship with a trained professional.
- We will help you to see New perspectives and New ways to address your issues
- With enhanced Self awareness you can develop new ways of coping and living.
You talk and we Listen
DAILY CAMPUS LIFE IS NOT ALL LOLLIPOS AND IVY
- Do you feel college is a battlefield & you have to fight to be seen?
- Do you feel all your faults are on display?
- Do you feel your fellow students are more motivated?
- Do you feel your professors are demanding?
- Do you find it difficult to fall asleep?
- Do you celebrate the end of your internal exams by binging on chips, Pizza & ice cream?
- Do you abuse alcohol and drugs to beat stress?
- Do you feel helpless and see no escape from stressful situations?
- Do you feel that you cannot do anything to remedy a situation?
- Do you feel bored?
Loneliness, isolation and stress are a vicious cycle. Together it can make you under motivated, drain your energy, lower your grades, drive you to suicide or have suicidal thoughts, reduce the optimum use of your potential.
Contact: Listening/Counselling Centre
0824- 2449700 Ext- 116
(1:00 p.m. -1:30 p.m.)
Ms Wilma Neetha Vaz, M.A., NET Counselling Psychology
Humanities/ social sciences -Admin Block
Physical sciences - Xavier block
Biological sciences - Xavier Block
Business Administration - Arupe Block
Commerce - Arupe Block
PG studies -Maffie Block