Laboratory Facilities in the Main Campus
Regular Science Laboratories : 31
Research Labs : 9
Language Lab : 1
Commerce Lab : 1
Psychology Lab : 1
Animation Lab : 1
In AIMIT Campus 6 Computer Laboratories are available
- There are 50 laboratories, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, in St Aloysius College, catering to the needs of basic sciences, information technology, Psychology , Commerce & Management and languages.
- Total Laboratory space available is approximately 6000 Sq. Mtrs out of which the main campus provides a laboratory space of 5300 Sq Mtrs. The AIMIT Campus has an available space of 720 sq. mtrs.
- The College has been ranked one of the top colleges in science education.
- Each science department has a well-equipped laboratory with all the necessary facilities.
- Each of these laboratories offers research facilities for the staff and students.
- Other than science departments, Psychology, computer Science and Commerce departments also have their laboratories.
- The College has ensured all necessary steps to complying with the safety standards prescribed by the Statutory Authorities.
- Laboratory of Applied Biology: Started in the year 1976, the laboratory is the first Research Centre of the College. It has advanced research instruments which are procured through DST, ICAR, DOE, UGC, CSIR, DBT and BRNS. It has a first ever cashew tree and medicinal plants developed through tissue culture. It gives regular training on plant tissue culture to the students and the staff of various colleges and women entrepreneurs.
UG Biological Science Laboratories
- Department of UG Biochemistry is with well equipped 1500 Sq Ft laboratory to facilitate student parcticals and research project supported by star college scheme.
- Basic facilities are available to do research on biochemical aspects: Nutritional biochemistry, bioactivity assessment and molecular biology.
- Lab is well connected by Wi-Fi.
- The lab has all the basic instruments, working tables, glasswares and can accommodate 25 students per session.
- Lab has instrumentation room for biochemical analysis and assays.
Laboratory is equipped with fume hood, fire extinguisher, waste disposal unit and exhaust fans.
- The department of Microbiology (UG) is housed in the Wi-Fi enabled second basement of Xavier block for Science and Research.
- The department has an exclusive laboratory of 2000 sq ft carpet area to accommodate a batch of 25 students per session.
- The work station /area available for each student is 20 sq ft.
- The laboratory has all basic equipment /instruments and glassware.
- The consumable needed for many fundamental and applied /molecular experiments are made available in sufficient amounts as and when required.
- The laboratory has also seating capacity for 35 individuals to be used during instructional sessions and with personal lockers in the working tables.
- The laboratory equipped with strategically placed fire extinguisher and first aid kit in case of emergency.
The laboratory has a separate wash area of 50sq ft and ensuite store room of 500 sq.ft.
- The department of Biotechnology (UG) is housed in the Wi-Fi enabled second basement of Xavier block for Science and Research.
- Department of UG Biotechnology has an exclusive laboratory of 2100 Sq Ft area to facilitate student practical’s and research project. In addition the department has a project room equipped with instruments.
- There is separate tissue culture lab for Animal and Plant
- The lab has all the basic instruments, working tables, glasswares and can accommodate 30 students per session.
- Laboratory is equipped with fume hood, fire extinguisher, waste disposal unit and exhaust fans.
- The laboratory has instruments like Autoclave, Hot air oven, incubator, Laminar Air Flow, Inverted Microscope and Rotary incubator shaker.
- The Department has a well equipped laboratory occupying a space of 3105 Sq.ft, having an instrumentation room and a museum of 1357 Sq.ft.
- The Department possesses equipments like Microscope with digital photography, Flame photometer, Rotary evaporator, Mechanical shaker, Laminar air flow, Colorimeter, Spectrophotometer, Incubator, Hot Air Oven, Soxhlet unit etc.
- Museum is accomplished with digital herbarium and a collection of about 400 diverse plant specimens.
- The area of specialization and research facilities include Plant taxonomy, Phytochemistry, Plant Ecology, Biodiversity and Plant conservation, Algal culture and large scale multiplication, Plant microbial interaction, Bioremediation, Ethnobotany and Bioprospecting.
The Zoology Laboratory provides the students with a suitable environment to develop a detailed understanding of the animal kingdom by exploring the physical, morphological and physiological characteristics of animals. The laboratory presents through its instruments an ideal place for undergraduate students to study the histology of various cells, tissues and organs. The subject knowledge is delivered through theory lectures and practical that enables students to learn the basic techniques in animal experimentation that shall further enhance their confidence to pursue their Masters Degree.
Lab Facilities in the Department of Zoology:
• The Department has sound infrastructure with well illuminated and well ventilated classrooms and laboratory to cater the needs of the Bachelor's Programme
• In addition to the traditional chalk & board, the classrooms are equipped with multi-media projection facility which also is the need of the hour
• The study material includes charts, models, slides, specimens, equipments etc. of course in addition to the sizable collection of books in the library
• The Zoology Lab is well equipped with all the basic equipment, instruments, apparatus, slides and specimens required to run the Bachelors' programme. To mention a few are Dissecting Microscopes, Compound Microscopes, Binocular Light Microscopes, Camera Lucida, pH Meter, Centrifuge, Spectrophotometer, Digital Weighing Balance, Drying Oven, Rotary Microtome, Water Bath, Fridge etc.
The Department of Zoology is home to a thriving community of researchers and students, who share a fascination in how whole organisms develop, function, behave, interact and evolve. Our work bridges different levels of organization from the cellular basis of animal form, function and behaviour to the interactions between organisms, people and policy.
The Museum plays a vital role in many aspects of the Department’s working life. Its specimens are regularly used in our undergraduate teaching programme. The Museum houses a collection of specimens of the natural world; capturing diversity in animal life. We use them in our regular teaching and practical to tell the story of animal life, understand the origins and complexities of life on earth. The collections show us how to detect species that are in peril and when to intervene to conserve them.
UG Physical Science Laboratories
- Department of UG Chemistry is located on the third floor of Xavier Block and is well equipped with over 5200 sq ft laboratory space for facilitating students on practicals and research projects.
- The lab has all basic instruments, chemicals, work benches, glassware and can accommodate up to 80 students per session.
- Laboratory is equipped with conductometers, potentiometers, spectrophotometer, flame photometry, centrifuge, magnetic stirrer, lab shakers and heating oven.
- Lab is also well connected by Wi-Fi.
- Fume hood is available for carrying out fuming and specialized reactions.
- All safety measurements are strictly followed within the lab. Students are compelled to work with proper PPE’s. Fire extinguishers, first aid kits are placed in proper places.
The department of Physics is housed in the third floor of Xavier block of the college equipped with around 4500 square feet of laboratory space.
The laboratory area is divided into to 5 separate sections.
Lab A for general experiment and can accommodate 40 students.
Lab B for general experiment and can accommodate 30 students.
Lab C for dark room experiment can house 20 students.
Lab D for computer simulation experiments with a maximum capacity of 15 students.
Lab E for fundamental experiments can accommodate 30 students.
The labs have all basic equipments, work tables with electrical points and are Wi-Fi enabled with a power backup facility of electrical generator.
The staffroom is in the vicinity of the physics staff room. A balcony area of 20 sq. ft is available for solar based optical experiments.
The laboratory also has experiments like GM counter, spectrophotometer, Hall effect setup, digital panel voltmeter/ammeter, digital multimeters, digital storage oscilloscope, optical spectrometer, variable/fixed power supplies.
An observatory with 8-inch optical telescope is managed by the Physics department
The computer section has 10 interconnected computers attached with printer and a 3D printer.
A workshop with drilling and grinding facility is also attached to the lab.
PG Biotechnology Lab
- The Department of PG Biotechnology is well equipped to facilitate student practical and research work.
- The department has 2 recognized Ph.D. guides under Mangalore University.
- The department has 3 exclusive laboratories in the Xavier Block for MSc practical sessions which can accommodate15-20 students in each and has all the basic instruments, working tables and glass wares.
- There are animal and plant tissue culture labs as well.
- In addition to this there are 3 Research Laboratories in The LCRI block for research purpose.
- The consumable needed for many fundamental and applied/molecular experiments are made available in sufficient amounts as and when required.
- Laboratory is equipped with fume hood, fire extinguisher, waste disposal unit and exhaust fans and first aid kit in case of emergency.
- The laboratory has a separate wash area where even the decontamination of culture plates are done.
- There is a Central Instrumentation facility in the LCRI block which has the following high end equipments:
PG Biochemistry Lab
PG Chemistry Lab
PG Physics Lab
PG Food Science Lab
- The Department of Food Science (PG) is housed in the Wi-Fi enabled basement of LCRI Block.
- Department has 3 well equipped laboratories - an Analytical lab which is occupying a space 650 sq. ft, a Microbiology lab occupying a space of 700 sq. ft, and a Dietetic lab occupying a space of 750 sq. ft.
- Department is accomplished with a Pilot Plant occupying a space of 2200 sq. ft. The pilot plant has the complete set-up for processing of fruits and vegetable products.
- Advanced facilities are available to carry out research on food technology, food processing techniques, nutritional biochemistry, food microbiology, bioactive assessments, nutritional assessments and therapeutic dietetic procedures.
- The labs are equipped with instruments, working tables, glassware’s, kitchen equipment’s, fire extinguishers, waste disposable units, exhaust fans and can accommodate a batch of 30 students per session.
- The department possesses instruments such as Autoclave, pH meter, Hot air oven (small), Soxhlet apparatus, Gerber centrifuge, BOD cooling incubator, Incubator, Hot air oven (big), Analytical weighing balance, Laminar airflow, Flame photometer, Centrifuge, Distillation, Rotary flash evaporator, Sealing machine, Composition (mill grinder), Muffle furnace, Muffle furnace, Cold centrifuge, UV spectrophotometer, Freeze dryer, Kjeldahl water bath, Texture analyzer, Tray dryer, Hunter lab colour spectrophotometer, Spray dryer and MAP.