The College library, from its very inception along with the College, strives to fulfill the information needs of the student and teaching fraternity of the College and also contributes to attain the goals and objectives of the College management in maintaining the great tradition in the field of higher education in this part of the state. Now the college is in its 142 year and true to its glorious past, maintains a kind of excellence in imparting education to reach even greater heights. The role of the library in an educational institution is to help to fulfill the broad educational objectives of the parent organization which largely centers around the self-development of individual students in the best interest of Society at large. The Library is fully automated with Koha-integrated library management system along with RFID technology. The library follows the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) Scheme and MARC-21 format for bibliographic data.
Our motto comes from the College ‘Lucet et ardet’ meaning to ‘light and to burn’ – shine to enkindle - translated as to be Men and Women for and with others. Hence “Service with smile” is our library motto. We serve our users with a smile. This makes our staff and students feel at home in the library. For this our guiding principles are Dr S.R. Ranganathans five laws of library science.
1. Books are for use
2. Every reader his/her book
3. Every book its reader
4. Save the time of the reader
5. Library is a growing organism
The role of the library in an educational institution is to help to fulfill the broad educational objectives of the parent organization which largely centers round the self-development of individual student in the best interest of the society at large. We give much importance to the fact that library work is an important component in the teaching learning process. We regularly conduct user orientation programmes for the students.
For quite a long time, our College library was one of its kinds in this part of the state. Many outsiders – old students, academicians, writers and general public visit the library for their needs. We never ask any introductory/recommendation letter from them to refer books inside the library. This kind of service is appreciated by all.
Every year we give library prize for two students who borrow the maximum books and using the library subscribed e-resources regularly.
Over the 142 years of its existence the library has been able to collect and preserve a vast storehouse of knowledge. The library has a catalogue printed in the year 1969 and about 25,000 books in this collection are considered almost rare and preserved in the secondary storage of the library. In this collection our strength is English literature, Kannada literature and history books. Some magazines for e.g. Readers Digest and National Geographic bound volumes we have from 1940’s.
The rarest of them all is The Mangalore Magazine from 1898 onwards is most sought after because it contains everything happened in Mangalore at that period. It was the “Record & Organ” of the College and was published quarterly.
Sturock Manual, Stuart Manual and Thomas Munro Manual of South Kanara are considered basic for the history of the district and referred by many authors’ writers and researchers on Mangalore and South Kanara History. Buchanan’s Journey through South Kanara and Malabar was available only in our library till it was reprinted recently. Mascarenhas Theses on Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan in Canara is available in the library. The only other copy is in St Xavier College Bombay. Christa Purana is the oldest book available in the library which was written in the year 1618.
We have 5 libraries catering to the needs of the respective Centers: PG Library for Post-graduate courses, AIMIT Library at our second campus at Beery, Konkani Institute Library and Institute of Civil Services Library.
Classification: The College library uses Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) Scheme for classifying books.
Cataloguing: Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR) is used to prepare the catalogue entries and MARC-21 format for bibliographic data in the library software.
Koha –The Library is fully automated with Koha-integrated library management system along with RFID technology. https://library.staloysius.edu.in/
24x7 accessible WEB OPAC service is available. Four computer terminals are provided to the users for browsing OPAC. All titles are available in this search. Koha - a user friendly software is used for library management. Maximum types of searches are possible- Keyword search, Subject wise, Author wise, Title wise, Call number and ISBN etc. https://library.staloysius.edu.in/
UGC text book lending library was started in our College library in the year 1964. Now with a collection of more than 5000 books, this lending library facility is made good use by the students.
Open access system is introduced in library. The students and staff find this service very useful. All new reference books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, general knowledge books and copies of text books are kept here for ready reference in the reference section. Project reports and sets of old exam question papers of the past 10 years are kept here for use to the readers. Bound volumes of journals are also available in this section.
A separate periodicals section of the UG and PG library was established to cater to the needs of both staff and students of both these sections. Now all the journals of both these libraries are arranged subject wise and kept in this exclusive section. This section is centrally located and on the ground floor of the main building where the readers has an easy access. The main advantage of this arrangement is the users can read all the journals at one place and more journals are at their disposal. The College subscribes more than 200 periodicals.
8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. on working days
8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. during vacation
8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. on Saturdays
Each student member is issued with 2 library borrower’s cards and books are issue for a period of 10 days for students. Staff members can borrow 12 books. The issue counter is open during the working hours of the library. Students and faculty members are free to choose the book to read and borrow from the library.
12. LIBRARY SERVICES
Open access system, Lending of books, Reference service, UGC Book Bank, Reprographic service, Digital browsing facility, Digital library service, Current awareness service, Readers guidance, Inter-library loan, Bibliographic service on demand, display of new arrivals and newspaper clipping services are available.
DELNET: Development Library Network is a registered society, being promoted by the National Informatics Centre, Ministry of Information Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. DELNET offers access to more than a million bibliographic records that are accessible through various union catalogues and databases. The main objectives of DELNET are to promote resource sharing among the member libraries, develop a network of libraries, collect, and store and disseminate information. The College library is a member of DELNET and making use of the interlibrary loan facility and article search facility offered by DELNET. http://www.delnet.in
N-LIST: National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content. It is a College Component of e-ShodhSindhu Consortium. Students can enroll by giving their e-mail ID’s and a dedicated password will be provided. More than 6000 e-journals, 1,99,500 e-books under N-LIST and 6,00,000 e-books through NDL are available in this database. http://nlist.inflibnet.ac.in
PROQUEST: DELNET ProQuest E-Journals Consortium provides full-text scholarly journals and dissertation in support of the study of management theory, practical applications, policy, functions and strategy. More than 120 scholarly full-text journals and 15 full-text Indian journals are available in this service. http://search.proquest.com/
J-GATE E-JOURNALS: J-Gate is an electronic gateway to global e-journal literature. It offers bibliographic information services to scholarly and technical e-journal literature. J-Gate covers e-journals in Agricultural and Biological Sciences, Basic Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Engineering and Technology. Presently J-Gate indexes 58,817 journals 71,692,382 articles are covered in J-Gate. http://www.jgateplus.com
AMERICAN CENTER, CHENNAI: The College Library is the member of the American Library Centre, Chennai. Inter library Loan service is available with membership. Students can access the Online databases and the resources of the American center library.https://americanspacesindia.on.worldcat.org/discovery
PLAGIARISM DETECTION TOOL: The College has Turnitin iThenticate Growth License for checking the research work/publications of the staff and students. https://www.ithenticate.com/
SAC DIGITAL REPOSITORY: SAC has developed its own Digital Repository to store and access of the digital materials of the College related publications, i.e. IQAC bulletins, Mangalore magazine, previous year question papers, project reports etc. http://220.127.116.11:8080/saclib
WORLD E-BOOK LIBRARY: This is world’s largest e-books collection in which over 30,00,000 e-books, e-Documents and e-Journals are available. It is designed to support academic research at all levels on all subject areas by providing unabridged e-books originally scanned from the top 50 university libraries in the world. The list of academic publications include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Oxford University, Cambridge University, Princeton University, Johns Hopkins University and other university presses. It also has digitized e-books titles from 42 European National Libraries. College Library subscribes this World e-book Library through N-LIST.
NATIONAL DIGITAL LIBRARY OF INDIA (Sponsored by MHRD and coordinated by IIT Kharagpur): The National Digital Library is an all digital library that stores information about different types of digital contents including books, articles, videos, audios, thesis and other educational materials relevant for users from varying educational levels and capabilities. It provides a single window search facility to access digital contents currently existing in India as well as other digital sources under a single umbrella. At present more than 8 crores digital resources are available at no cost. https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in
To cater to the needs of Post-graduate students and teachers a separate PG Library was established in the year 2001. The library is housed in a spacious hall in the Maffei Block of the College. The Library is fully automated and open access with Koha-integrated library management system along with RFID technology. There are more than 23,217 books and the library receives more than 80 journals.
St Aloysius Institute of Management & Information Technology (AIMIT) has an excellent library spread across 12,000 Sq. ft. It is located in the Academic Block, above the computer laboratories. The lower section of the library has the open access section where students can read books and journals. The upper section is for course-related books. The Library is fully automated with Koha-integrated library management system along with RFID technology. The library has a vast collection of international journals and magazines, electronic resources and books on a wide range of topics. Present, 31,204 volumes are available in the library.
AIMIT is also a member of IEEE. The library also provides access to online browsing, and students can also reserve books online. The library is open from 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. every day of the week, including on holidays.
INSTITUTE OF CIVIL SERVICES
UG Library: 94,569
PG Library: 23,217
AIMIT Library: 31,204
Konkani Institute: 9,000
Institute of Civil Services: 1,814
Digital Library Service:
1. DELNET: Development Library Network is a registered society promoted by the National Informatics Centre, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India and the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. DELNET offers access to more than a million bibliographic records that are accessible through various union catalogues and databases. The main objectives of DELNET are to promote resource sharing among the member libraries, develop a network of libraries, collect, store and disseminate information. The College library is the member of DELNET and makes use of the inter-library loan and article search facility. – http://www.delnet.in
2. N-LIST – is a digital library facility of National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content. Our college library has been a participating member of this network. More than 6000 e- journals and more than 31,35,000 e-books are available on this database. World E-Book Library is the world’s largest e-Books collection in which over 30,00,000 e-Books, e-Documents, e-Journals and audio e-books are available. It is designed to support academic research at all levels, in all subject areas by providing unabridged e-Books. The College Library subscribes this World E-Book Library through the N-LIST – http://nlist.inflibnet.ac.in
3. PROQUEST: DELNET ProQuest E-Journals Consortium provides full-text scholarly journals and dissertation in support of the study of management theory, practical applications, policy, functions and strategy. More than 130 scholarly full-text journals and 15 full-text Indian journals are available in this service. – http://http://search.proquest.com
4. J-GATE E-JOURNALS: J-Gate is an electronic gateway to global e-journal literature. J-Gate is the most comprehensive database & gateway to access research information from over 56 Million journal articles with access to 11 Million full text articles covering multiple subject domains such as; Agriculture & Biological Sciences, Arts & humanities, Basic Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Social & Management Sciences. http://www.jgateplus.com
5. INTER-LIBRARY LOAN (ILL): Interlibrary loan is a service whereby a patron of one library can borrow books and other information resources or receive photocopies of documents that are owned by another library. DELNET is offering inter-library loan & Document Delivery Services to its member libraries. The College library is the member of DELNET and makes use of the inter-library loan. ILL requests can be registered online for books.
The College is also the member of American Center, Chennai. The center consists the collections of multidisciplinary American books, journals, reference materials, U.S. government publications, and think tank reports. Our library users can borrow the resources which are available in the Union Online Catalog of American Libraries.
6. National Digital Library (NDL): The National Digital Library is an all digital library that stores information about different types of digital contents including books, articles, videos, audios, thesis and other educational materials relevant for users from varying educational levels and capabilities. It provides a single window search facility to access digital contents currently existing in India as well as other digital sources under a single umbrella. At present more than 80 lakh digital resources are available at no cost. https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in
7. SAC Repository: Many old and rare books are available in the library dating back to 1618. Mangalore Magazine is a rare publication of the college dating back to 1897, which is preserved in the library. To preserve these rare and precious resources an Institutional Digital Repository is planned and an attempt is made to digitize these resources. http://18.104.22.168:8080/saclib/
OPEN ACCESS E-BOOKS AND STUDY MATERIALS:
1. PDF Drive https://www.pdfdrive.com
2. Archive Library https://archive.org
3. eGyanKosh http://egyankosh.ac.in
4. e-PG Pathshala https://epgp.inflibnet.ac.in
5. Directory of Open Access Books http://www.doabooks.org
6. Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org
7. National Digital Library of India https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
8. Universal Digital Library http://www.ulib.org/
OPEN ACCESS E JOURNALS AND DATABASE:
1. Directory of Open Access Journals- http://www.doaj.org/
2. Indian Academy of Science- http://www.ias.ac.in/
3. NISCAIR Research Journals-http://www.niscair.res.in/sciencecommunication/ResearchJournals/rejour/rejour1.htm
4. Elsevier - https://www.elsevier.com/catalog?producttype=journals
5. National Center for Biotechnology Information Database- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
6. Bioline International- http://www.bioline.org.br/
7. BioMed Central- http://www.biomedcentral.com/
OPEN ACCESS E-THESIS AND DISSERTATIONS:
1. Shodhganga-Indian ETDs (INFLIBNET) - https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/
2. Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) - http://www.ndltd.org/
3. Mahatma Gandhi University Online Theses Library - http://mgutheses.in/
4. Electronic Theses and Dissertations of Indian Institute of Science - http://etd.iisc.ac.in/
5. Caltech THESIS - https://thesis.library.caltech.edu/
|Mr Udaya, MLISc, SLET, NET– Librarian
|Mr Sanjeeva N. - Asst. Librarian
|Mr Avil D’Souza, B.A., Library Asst.
|Ms Reshma Kunder, B.A., MLISc., Library Asst.
|Ms Priya Precilla D’Souza, DLISc., Library Asst.
|Ms Revathi, DLISc., Library Asst.
|Mr Joylan James Lobo, B.Sc., Library Asst.
|Mr Edwin C.R. Menezes, Attender
|Ms Celine D'Costa, Attender
|Mr Udaya, MLISc, SLET, NET– Librarian
|Ms Sunitha Machado, B.A., MLISc., Asst. Librarian
|Ms Shashikala, DLISc., Library Asst.
|Ms Jyothi Priya, B.Com., Library Asst.
|Ms Sushma, B.A., DLISc.- Library Asst.
|Ms Martha Sunitha D'Silva, Attender
|Mr Alwyn Pereira, Attender
|Ms Preethal Relita Castelino, Attender